Monday & Tuesday, May 8 & 9 - Fountas & Pinnell Reading Benchmark Testing
Read Ms. Munnerlyn's letter here
Monday & Tuesday, May 15 & 16 - Spring MAP Testing
Please let us know if your child will be out on any of these days.
This week we began our new unit as we inquire into 'Sharing The Planet'
Sharing the Planet
An inquiry into rights and responsibilities in the struggle to share finite resources with other people and with other living things; communities and the relationships within and between them; access to equal opportunities; peace and conflict resolution.
Humans live in a web of interdependence where understanding oneself and others is essential for peaceful resolution to conflict.
Lines of Inquiry
- Causes and consequences of conflict
- Strategies used to resolve conflict
- Awareness of ourselves and how we collaborate
Causation- Why is it like it is?
Perspective - What are the points of view?
Responsibility - What is our responsibility?
- Caring - acting in a respectful way that shows empathy and compassion towards others
- Communicators - expressing ideas and listening to others when working collaboratively
- Principled - taking responsibility for own actions and the consequences that accompany them- particularly in resolving conflicts fairly.
- Empathy - ability to understand another’s perspective and be open-minded
- Cooperation - collaborating and leading or following as the situation demands
This week we dug into our new unit by thinking about the 'shades of meaning' for peace and conflict. We discussed how they come in a variety of forms and in different places. We used our knowledge of poetry to express our different ideas about peace and conflict.
We had lots of excitement this week with guest readers from Grade 7 who read their own fairy tales to us. And most exciting of all was the Makers Faire!!! We had so much fun learning from the middle and high school students and we got to create many things of our own!
In Math we were also creating. We used strips of paper to measure our fractions and create our own mix of equivalent fraction equations - there are so many combinations to make up one whole!!
Unit Overview with link to Home Learning Tasks
ES Tech Blog - a guide to apps and resources
Ms. Brewster's Blog
Ms. MacKenty's Blog
Growth Mindset in Maths
ASW Library Database
Teacher = kdunevant1